More Questions

Originally Posted on | November 24, 2008

John’s seizures have worsened—back to where they were before the first dose of steroids. Dr. Reardon, the neurologist, decided John needed to be stabilized and didn’t want to wait until we started the Ketogenic diet, so they gave John a second round of steroids starting Saturday. Can’t do much more of this, though, because too much steroid treatment will make John stop producing his own, then it takes months to wean him off the steroids until his body starts back up again.

Continue reading

Meditation, Prayer, and Fasting

Originally Posted on | November 24, 2008

We finished our conference with the medical staff this morning. After all the questions, discussions, and mystery of the last couple of months, we seem to have reached a place of (relative) clarity. The clarity comes from the fact that we have come down to choosing between two paths that bring John home to be with us. And we plan on informing the medical team of our decision tomorrow. While this will not be the end of the decision-making process for us, it is clearly the first significant decision we have had to make. The details of the decision and the paths are below.

To help us make this decision, our family is going to have an evening of meditation, prayer, and fasting, using two passages of Scripture to guide us:

Continue reading